Foundation AMERICAN PSYCHOLOGICAL
APF is hosting a series of distinguished presentations and
speakers during APA’s 2014 Annual Convention in Washington,
D.C., Aug. 7–10. They include:
• “Paradoxes in Policy Research,” the William Bevan
Lecture for Psychology and Public Policy by Faye J. Crosby,
PhD, of the University of California, Santa Cruz. Aug. 8,
1–1: 50 p.m.
• “American Psychological Foundation Grants and Scholarships,” an information session with APF Executive Vice Presi-dent/Executive Director Elisabeth R. Straus and Program Officer
Samantha Edington. Attendees will learn about the foundation’s
more than 40 funding opportunities. Aug. 8, 1–1: 50 p.m.
• “Giftedness in the Making: The ‘Being’ and ‘Doing’ of
Talent Development and Creativity,” the Esther Katz Rosen
Lecture on Gifted Children and Adolescents by David Yun Dai,
PhD, of the University at Albany, State University of New York.
Aug. 8, 2–2: 50 p.m.
• The Annual Spielberger EMPathy Symposium will feature
three talks on Aug. 8, 2–3: 50 p.m.:
“Socio-emotional Signal Processing in Primates,” by Lisa
Parr, PhD, of Emory University.
“Empathy and Interpersonal Accuracy in the Clinical
Encounter,” by Judith A. Hall, PhD, of Northeastern University.
“Understanding and Reducing Risk for Depression,” by Ian
Gotlib, PhD, of Stanford University.
• “You Are Not Obligated to Complete the Work …
Reflections on Teaching about Social Justice.” The Charles
L. Brewer Distinguished Teaching of Psychology Award
Address by Mary E. Kite, PhD, Ball State University. Aug. 9,
2–2: 50 p.m.
• The Arthur W. Staats Lecture on Unifying Psychology by
Yale University President Peter Salovey, PhD. Aug. 9, 3–3: 50 p.m.
• “Musings on Making Psychology a Household Word,”
the Dr. Rosalee G. Weiss Lecture for Outstanding Leaders in
Psychology by Lisa Grossman, JD, PhD. Aug. 9, 4–4: 50 p.m.
• “To Be or Not to Be ... Morally Engaged: Psychological
Perspectives and International Law,” the Lynn Stuart Weiss
Lecture on the Psychological Study of Social Issues by Kathleen
Malley-Morrison, PhD, of Boston University. Aug. 9,
5–5: 50 p.m.
Join APF at convention in Washington, D.C., to hear distinguished lecturers