The awards should make a solid contribution toward
righting the internship imbalance, potentially adding 150
programs and 520 new internship positions over the three-year period, adds Jackie Tyson, the APA Education Directorate’s
associate executive director for administration and lead staff
person for the project. In the 2012 internship match, 22 percent
of 4,067 psychology doctoral students were not matched
at all, and nearly 20 percent were matched in unaccredited
internships, according to statistics from APPIC.
“It’s really exciting to be a part of an effort to promote
quality training for psychologists and to help more programs
gain APA accreditation,” Tyson says.
The 32 funded programs are:
• AspenPointe Psychology Internship Program, AspenPointe,
• APA Psychology Internship, Inland Behavioral & Health
Services Inc., San Bernardino, Calif.
• California Pacific Medical Center Psychology Internship
Program, Sutter West Bay Hospitals, San Francisco.
• Central Arkansas Psychology Internship Consortium,
University of Central Arkansas, Conway, Ark.
• Chestnut Hill College Pre-Doctoral Internship
Consortium, Chestnut Hill College, Philadelphia.
• Children’s Hospital & Research Center Oakland
Department of Psychiatry, Children’s Hospital & Research
Center at Oakland, Oakland, Calif.
• Clinical Psychology Internship Program at the University
of Vermont, University of Vermont and State Agricultural
College, Burlington, Vt.
• Counseling and Psychological Services, University of San
Francisco, San Francisco.
• East Tennessee/Southwest Virginia Predoctoral Psychology
Internship Consortium, St. Charles Health Council, Inc.,
• Holcomb Behavioral Health Systems, Holcomb Associates,
Inc., Exton, Pa.
• Kentucky River Community Care Pre-doctoral Internship,
Kentucky River Community Care, Hazard, Ky.
• Kern County Mental Health Psychology Internship
Program, Kern County Health Department, Bakersfield, Calif.
• Marin County Health and Human Services Psychology
Internship Program, Marin County Health and Human
Services, Marin County, Calif.
• MCCHC-IU Health Consortium of East Central Indiana,
Madison County Community Health Centers, Inc., Madison
An up-close look at this
year’s internship hunt
Follow along with five
students who hunted for
internships this year. Read
their stories and watch their